[pct-l] The technique of charge a lithium-ion battery of DSLR camera by the solar panel

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:31:10 CDT 2014

A few PCT hiker may need such a technique. The easy way is to bring two or
three batteries, and to charge them at the hotels. But, I would like to
stay in wilderness for 20 days in this summer ( I will purchase a food drop
service, and stay in the wilderness ). And I changed my main camera to
Pentax K-3, which need a lithium-ion battery. Therefore, I have tested
several technique.

1. The recommended technique by the maker. I am using GoalZero Nomad 7
solar panel. In this case,  the combination with the lithium re-charger
Shelpa 50 was recommended. But Shelpa 50 was very expensive and heavy ( 500
gram ) Therefore, this technique is unrealistic.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-81k7VKW--g4/U0XPwt37dfI/AAAAAAAAW-M/ygMlTdCoPnk/s1600/sherpa-50-v2-solar-ac-kit_05.jpg

 2. Use of 12 V DC output.

GoalZero has 12 V DC output, and there are many chargers which have 12 V DC
input using cigar socket. Therefore, I connected the 12 V DC output of
GoalZero and the charger. The charge lump did not work, but the battery was
charged under the direct sunlight. I think 3 days may be needed to make the
battery full.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zInjwEPRjIM/U0M7i4ONgCI/AAAAAAAAW9E/VIh2Q27FxJg/s1600/P4085916.JPG

I thought cigar socket was too bulky and unnecessary. I cut the cable and
connected directory to the charge plug.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-PoUlNMrGuLg/U0fapiBHFzI/AAAAAAAAXAc/1wLNYe0uMio/s1600/1011794_847926918556973_5478490540748181359_n.jpg

It works!  I did not recommend this. But it is the lightest technique.

3. Use of battery case.

In order to make 12 V DC power supply, it is the simplest way to use 10 AA
re-chargeable batteries. The battery case is very cheap. I also changed the
plug. 10 AA batteries weigh around 250 gram. Therefore, this technique is
heavy, but the indicator of the charger works rightly, and you can use more
light weight solar panel.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LyI57cXKE_M/U0fr7J2p7kI/AAAAAAAAXA4/3J7aent2-dk/s1600/10151915_847958208553844_4309656248154375236_n.jpg

In detail, please see my blogs.

http://completewalker.blogspot.jp/2014/04/how-to-charge-lithium-ion-battery-of.html

--
Sincerely
Low Gear (trail name) ---  Low Gear Song was written by Diane with Trail

Hiro   ( the short name of Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )
facebook  http://www.facebook.com/completewalker
Blogs  http://completewalker.blogspot.jp/
Photo  https://picasaweb.google.com/104620544810418955412/
Backpacking since 1980 in Japan, A foreign member of PCTA;  JMT( 2009,
2010, 2011, 2012), Wind River Range, Glacier NP (2013)