[pct-l] Lessons learned so far

Robert McAllister rwhere at att.net
Fri Apr 11 16:47:29 CDT 2014

Just finished Section A yesterday. Will return to the trail next week after my feet heal.

A few lessons learned:

Carry plenty of electrolyte replacement. I ran out of Gatorade powder in the San Felipe Hills and my energy level dropped like a rock. It was hotter than hell that day.

Hot water is difficult to drink. Have a sugar free drink mix to make it easier to swallow.

If using an air mattress be careful at Scissors Crossing. The tumbleweed stickers are tiny and sharp. I was carefully and had a lot of luck.

Use Tyvek as a ground cloth. The window film plastic, polycryo or whatever it's called, sucks. The extra weight of Tyvek is worth it.

Carry extra wet wipes to clean your feet and help prevent blisters. At times there may not be enough water to use for cleaning.

Make sure if you carry olive oil the container is truly leak proof. Mine leaked and coated everything inside the food bag. Yuck!

Robert "Giant Sequoia"