[pct-l] The technique of charge a lithium-ion battery of DSLR camera by the solar panel

James Vesely JVesely at sstinternational.com
Mon Apr 14 14:32:47 CDT 2014

With some experimentation I have come up with a piece meal solar charge system it has a 5 watt (stated) panel and a prefab solar/USB charge circuit board with a 2500 Mah li-ion (stated) battery that weighs just over  10 oz.  and charges the battery at about 500 Mah (making it more like a 2.5 watt panel) in direct sunlight (it takes about 4-5 hrs of blue sky direct sunlight to charge the battery to 95%).     The system has not been used on the trail yet but it seems to work as predicted.

The system can be optionally charged from any 110 or 12 volt USB charge adapter as well as from the solar panel.

Because of heat losses and other charging inefficiencies I find I can charge my Samsung S3 with a 2100 Mah (which is probably only 1500 Mah) battery from about 25% to full charge before solar battery depletion.

The USB cable is multi use in that it can be used to charge the battery on solar charger then reversed to charge your phone or be used in conjunction with a plug in USB adapter .  To save weight I have decided to use shrink wrap tubing to protect the battery and charge circuit board rather than a metal minty box.  I also found it useful to use a universal li-ion battery USB charger that’s slides into the USB port to charge my camera (or any) li-ion battery.

The size of the li-ion solar battery is upgradable to a larger size and can be customized based on usage.   Due to the varying  sun exposure while walking it really doesn't make much sense in having a huge battery unless you want to charge it via 110 or 12 USB charger while in town.       A 2500 Mah battery is just about right for backpack mounted, while walking type charging and I based that on the fact that anything bigger might not get fully charged in day.   If you bring two cables it is possible to charge the solar battery and your device at the same time.

The photo link below shows the charger and also has links to purchase the parts separately.   Note: I have bought several battery packs and most of them seem to overstate there capacities.

The total cost of the parts without shipping comes to about $55 not including the USB cable and the solar panel USB modification in which I soldered a USB output  port to the back of the solar panel.
The mod is not really necessary and the only drawback would be you would have to carry the extra weight of the additional cable.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+JamesVesely/albums/6002188681269867409

Jim