[pct-l] Heads Up... Hiker Scum

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Sat Apr 19 10:09:42 CDT 2014

I've been section hiking the PCT for nearly 30 years.  I've met hundreds
of thru-hikers and for the most part enjoyed talking.  The group of guys
this thread describes are really rare in my experience, and it's good
that there is a communication network on the trail warning people up the
trail to expect rudeness.

I worked with juveniles in prison for a while, and learned some things
about the kind of thinking that leads one person to hurt another that
might be useful here.  There are a number of "patterns" in thinking all
perpetrators share.  These patterns are expressed in what are called
"criminal thinking errors."  Here's a website with a list of terms,
definitions, and short explanations.  It's probably more than most need
or want to know.

*https://tinyurl.com/lr6t96w*

It really sounds like this group has developed a "groupthink" bubble
that is self-reinforcing.  Luckily, their ilk is rare on the trail...

Jeff...