[pct-l] Ursack

Jamie Hogan lists_for_bearvault at san.rr.com
Mon Apr 21 19:45:50 CDT 2014

Jamie from BearVault here.

As you can imagine we have many, many thousands of BearVaults in use.
 Every 2 years or so  we have a failure.  We inevitably hear about it and
get the unit back for inspection.  They have always been defective units in
that they had a thinner wall thickness than specified. With plastics, when
you make lots of an item sometimes you get a defective unit and that is
what seems to have happened with our returned, failed units.

Now Yellow Yellow could open our BearVaults faster than a lot of hikers.
Amazingly, she didn't teach her kids  (which surprised us).  She was killed
in December 2012 and last year they had no instances of BearVault failures
in the HIgh Peaks area of the Adirondacks which points to her children
being less gifted than her.....

The BearVauit has not been redesigned since 2008 and other than the above
mentioned occasional failures due to thin wall sections (and Yellow
Yellow's successes) we are not aware of any issues.

I hope this clarifies things. Happy hiking!