[pct-l] Trimming messages....this will be my last complaint

Dan Engleman danengleman at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 11:52:29 CDT 2014

Some people think (and write) in a concrete sequential manner and other's think (and write) in a random abstract way.  Being that I fall into the random abstract type thinker/writer I prefer Diane's flavor of response to the more concise/precise/sterile factoid list approach to hiker inquiries.  Do I appreciate the "bullet point folks" (definitely) but I learned a long time ago that I just am not wired that way myself.

Best thing about Diane's posts are that she does not claim to have all the answers for all people and for all times but she has been around long enough to know that anxiety runs high preceding a thru hike and absorbing everyone's wisdom gets people through the waiting for "launch day."  She is also well aware (and the first to say) that backpackers will find their way if they just get out there and "do it," which I found to be valuable advice prior to my PCT launch on 2011 ...

I appreciate that you take the time, Dianne, to be so respectful of newbies questions/concerns; you do more than bullet point the facts you open up your heart. I hope that the factoid police don't ever deter you from doing what you do so well ... care.

Dan (711)
On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:11 AM, Diane Soini <dianesoini at gmail.com> wrote:

I am sorry I didn't live up to your expectations when you met me in person. I'm not sure where we met because I don't remember meeting you, but that is always a worry I have when meeting people in person. I am always afraid I won't live up to the expectations and I'm pretty sure I usually don't. The real me is on the trails and this list used to be my little connection with it.