[pct-l] Stovefree "cooking" containers

River Malcolm river at orcasonline.com
Tue Apr 22 22:56:22 CDT 2014

Hi trail friends

When I decided to go stovefree the pint (2 c) twist n loc ziploc container seemed perfect. I read that it worked for some people, as did empty peanut butter jars. I found peanut butter jars too narrow to get my hand inside to clean. The ziploc leaked for me out on the trail (though it withstood the fill and shake test at home), as did the equivalent Rubbermaid.

What has worked for me has been the container for Talenti gelato (ice cream). I've been using it 10 days on the trail now with no leaks. Highly recommended (and the double chocolate gelato which must be eaten to get to the container is only a minor burden).

Happy trails
River

Another thing that has worked for me -- this is for the over-65 hiker crowd--if thumb arthritis is getting in the way of using your trekking poles, email me and I will share info about the thumb orthotic that made my current hike possible.

River