[pct-l] Which airport provides easiest access to Kennedy Meadows?

Chris Hauser cehauser1 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 00:13:58 CDT 2014

I think LA is the closest airport, from a mileage standpoint, but there is the train/bus combo to get up to Inyokern.  Flying into Mammoth would be easier, since there is just one bus to get down to Inyokern, plus the possibility of being dropped off on Highway 395 at the KM turnoff, or the possibility of getting a shuttle up to KM from East Side Sierra Shuttle.
I grew up in Ridgecrest.  For several decades, there was a daily a commuter flight from LA to Inyokern.  This summer that local airline went out of business.  It might not help your situation, but I'd expect them to resume daily air service to Inyokern within a year or so(?).

Don't try to resupply in Inyokern.  It is a 1-stoplight town.  A couple of small restaurants, some houses and a gas station, and that's it.  Ridgecrest is about 10 miles to the east, with plenty of grocery stores, etc.  Not sure if the Todd's Outdoor Supply is still in business, but there's a Walmart and other large retailers.

The Kennedy Meadows turnoff (off of Highway 395) is about 10 miles north of Inyokern.  From that turnoff on highway 395, it is another 30 miles up into the mountains to Kennedy Meadows.  Not sure how easy it is to hitch a ride up there, traffic might be pretty light.

Have a great trip!

Chris.