[pct-l] Simply parking in a National Forest does notrequireapermit

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Apr 30 15:04:15 CDT 2014

I think it is worthwhile reading the decision, It seems pretty clear
cut and straightforward to me, But IANAL

The decision seem to be to be  about the Federal Lands Recreation
Enhancement Act, 16 U.S.C. §§ 6801-6814, (“REA”) which states that
there are limits on which things the USFS can charge fees for. This
section is quoted

=== begin snip from REA ===
Limitations on recreation fees
(1) Prohibition on fees for certain activities or services

The Secretary shall not charge any standard amenity
recreation fee or expanded amenity recreation fee for Federal
recreational lands and waters administered by ... the Forest
Service ... under this chapter for any of the following:
(A) Solely for parking, undesignated parking, or
picnicking along roads or trailsides.
== end snip ===

The judge decided:
"The Forest Service is prohibited from charging a fee solely for
parking. If a visitor does nothing other than park, the fee is solely
for parking and is, therefore, plainly prohibited by the REA

This seems pretty straight forward to me.

Are there any expert legal minds out there that can find fault in
this, the judges ruling?