[pct-l] Gear

Jeffrey Olson philos56 at live.com
Tue Aug 5 22:38:10 CDT 2014

My folks started us (three kids) backpacking with a trip in 1961 into
the Eagle Cap Wilderness.  We hiked in, set up the 20' x 12' clear
plastic tarp and lived in it for two days while it rained. The previous
two summers they'd horse/mule packed us into the Marble Mountain
Wilderness - once to Cliff Lake for two weeks, and the next year to the
Wright Lakes.  So many memories...

One of the strongest is of a backcountry ranger stripping down to his
birthday suit and bathing in Cliff Lake.  He took a bar of soap out
there and spent  20 minutes scrubbing and washing.  We could see the
circle of soap/bubbles dissipate in the lake.

The two days under the tarp was all about staying sane.  Even at 9 years
old I knew I had to behave.  When the rain abated, we met a sheep herder
who put our packs on his mules and dropped them off at our car at the
trailhead.

My Dad died over Labor Day in 2009.  The last time I backpacked with him
was in 1987 when he was my age, 62.  Already the TIAs (transient
ischemic attacks - minor strokes) were changing him.

My brother in law and I were lounging on the east side of Falls Creek,
three or four miles below Dorothy Lake, drinking bourbon and feeling
fine.  My Dad had been fly fishing for the previous hour - downstream of
our camp.  Steve and I watched him trod by 50' across the creek on the
trail.  We expected he'd look up and see us, cross the creek, and put
some bourbon in his Sierra Club cup.

15 minutes passed and no Dad.  He'd already established he was pretty
spaced and Steve and I were responsible for his safety.  I swore and
danced across the creek on rocks to the trail.  I had four or five
ounces of bourbon in me and didn't feel like running.  I was a bit
resentful I had to look out for  him.  Nonetheless, I kept up a fast
paced walk that folded over into jogging a couple times.

After 10 minutes of walking my concern solidified a bit - I had a tight
feeling in my chest.  I don't worry.  It's not part of my
being-in-the-world.  But I was definitely feeling a bit uncertain.

The forest along Falls Creek is a bunch of 30' pines and there is lots
of granite.  On a long section hike in 1995 I met a guy along Falls
Creek who had adopted Ray Jardine's system hook line and sinker.  He
left Campo on June 1.  He was about to catch up to the herd.  I shared
this story with him then, and I could see him add it to his storybook of
interesting experiences along the trail.

I followed a mellow bend in the trail and there my Dad was, standing in
the middle of the trail.  "Hey Dad - what's up?"

The look in his eyes was really scary.  It  was one of the first times I
saw how deeply the TIAs had affected him.  "I'm going to camp" he said,
his eyes diffused, unfocused.

"Well, it's back down the trail" I said, pointing south.  I don't
remember the specifics after that.  I do remember actually physically
helping walk down the trail, holding his arm above the elbow, like you
would an old person.  We spent 15 minutes getting back to camp.  He
found focus with bourbon and dinner and conversation.

I titled this post, "Gear" because I haven't bought any in over a year.
That's a record for me.  18 months ago I bought an ultralight inflatable
neo mattress.  It replaced my blue ensolite pad, which had replaced a
compacted blue closed cell pad, which had replaced a gray thermarest
closed cell foam pad.  I own at least eight generations of sleeping
pads, and now, use only the ultralight thermarest neo pad.  When I moved
from Rapid City SD to Arcata CA I gave away mattresses I'd used in the 70s.

  For my adult life I haven't had much money.  I never got married and
never had children.  Money was never important.  Yet, I always had good
quality backpacking gear.  Whether it was moving up from my camptrails
pack - the big sack - the one Colin Fletcher used - to the Kelty Super
Tioga - to the Jansport D-3, and a couple small internal frames to the
Golite Gusts and and Mariposa I use now - I was within a year or two of
gear that made things lighter and easier to use in backpacking.  I use a
Nunatak quilt, now 11 years old and currently priced near $500.  I've
never put it in a stuff sack. When hiking it lives in a garbage bag at
the top of my huge pack.  I could always afford backpacking gear.

I think I've been a beginner backpacker most of my life.  I say this
because I've had a 45 year fascination with gear - better gear.  My
first stove was a Bluet, and I have two or three of them now.  If you
want them, let me know.  They are yours if you pay for shipping...

Beginning backpackers are fascinated with gear.  Which rain jacket is
best?  Which stove system is best?  Can I wear running shoes or do I
need fabric boots, or am I going give the middle finger to 40 years of
technological advances and walk in leather boots.  And on and on and
on.  Read the journals of thru-hikers and you NEVER see any references
to what piece of gear is better than another.  You'll read about bad
choices about gear to carry in specific situations, but you wont' ever
see anyone argue north face jackets are better than sierra design jackets.

I've been a victim of materialist culture.  Plain and simple.  I've
bought 1000s of dollars of stuff over the last 45 years I didn't
"need."  Why?  This is the question.  "Why??????"  The consequence is
that I've been a beginner backpacker for more y ears than I needed to.
I have more experience in REI or online looking at deals than I did
actually hiking.  I think that one of the possibilities thru-hiking
offers contrasted to section hiking is that this "gear" orientation
slowly goes away, forever - forever - forever...  I know what I need,
and am no longer concerned with what I want.

That last sentence is profound, if I do say so.

I survey my memories of hikes - the last one with my Dad mentioned
above, and so on, and you know what, gear never enters into the focus of
discussion...

Never.....

Jeffrey Olson
Manila, CA