[pct-l] Mini-Crampons Unnecessary from the Columbia to Stevens Pass?

Roger Carpenter roger at elkpass.com
Wed Aug 6 15:35:50 CDT 2014

Last weekend a couple of section hikers made it across the Packwood Glacier without crampons, I assumed.  Southbounders were telling them the snow was soft enough and there was enough traction without crampons.  I observed the same conditions when I hiked to the glacier.

Roger Carpenter
Portland, Oregon U.S.
PCT So. Cal. 1995
PCT Mexico - Canada 1996