[pct-l] SoCal in October

Maxine Weyant weyantm at msn.com
Sun Aug 10 18:08:24 CDT 2014

I'm attending a wedding in SanDiego in late October. I'm thinking of trying to hike around 90-150 miles before then,
somewhere bet. Scissors Crossing and Walker Pass.

I'll fly home from San Diego, but can fly in to Bakersfield or Palm Springs, LA, or wherever's closest to my hike.

Am I likely to encounter snow, freezing temperatures,  or bad blustery weather (constant blowing sand in the eyes and mouth)
in the Mojave sections, the San Gabriels, at Baden-Powell, Big Bear/Arrowhead Lk.,
or bet I-10 and Big Bear?  Or bet Scissors and Pine to Palms (74)?

I'm assuming the section between Pine to Palms and I-10 will still be re-routed due to fire, so will skip that for now.
However, if I took the Palm Springs Tram to San Jacinto, can I get to the PCT easily from there and head NOBO?
Or is there snow up there by then?

I realize that water sources are even more scarce, and water caches won't be stocked in Oct.
Are there other logistical considerations I should be aware of for hiking that time of year?
If I hike East (SOBO) from the Angeles Forest Hwy to Big Bear, will I have less trouble with the Santa Ana winds?
Is the Poison Oak huge and pervasive in late fall or has it started to die back by mid-October?
What about Poodle Dog Bush in those regions in Oct?

Thanks,

Dys-feng shui-nal