[pct-l] Bear Canisters: Good for Bear, not for Hungry Hiker?

Gail Van Velzer vanvelzer at charter.net
Tue Aug 12 17:08:08 CDT 2014

Ned,
You hit the nail on the head!  Through my study, I have found that there are
many other ways to keep food away from bears; that the BC is not the only
way.  Why is it then, that the Forest Service beaurocrats who sit behind a
desk and never get out there on a trail are making these decisions?  Also,
for those of us who have medical issues (diabetes), carb loading isn't an
option!  I would like the forest service to allow other proven means of
protecting food from bears...but like that's going to happen!
Golly