[pct-l] PCT Re-Entry

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Aug 28 15:16:13 CDT 2014

Cheryl Strayed is quoted in an interview in “Guernica, a magazine of art & politics” regarding how the trail changes us:

“The changes that this radically transformative experience brought about were discrete and subtle from the outside. But there were huge shifts on the inside. That’s how change happens. There are these really small things that occur, this series of decisions that we make and continue to make that equal big change.”  (http://www.guernicamag.com/interviews/redeemed/)

As PCT thru hikers begin to end their incredible journeys (or at least see the end in sight) this summer, I believe they will feel “changed” on the inside. I know I did back in 1974.

Wilderness brings healing. The more time you can spend in it, the deeper the healing can be.

Successful thru hikers have a nickname for when this inner change is most felt, “Re-Entry.”

...just food for thought.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential education and risk awareness training."