[pct-l] self arrest poles

Bill Weber billweberx at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 15:31:58 CST 2014

It's called a Whippit and you carry only one.  I do recommend them over ice axes for regular snow hiking as they are always on the ready and work just as well as ice axes.  I've heard stories of people falling off the trail with the ice axe strapped to their pack.  I had an accident this year in the norther Cascades where I fell off the trail and landed in some trees.  The whippit snapped off at the handle but the ice ax at the end was still functional.  In this case I headed down the slope head first and there was no time to spin around and self arrest, but I did successfully self arrest with the whippit previous to the accident.
Blackhawk Down