[pct-l] Planning a Section Hike - Ziggy & The Bear to I-5

Brian Watt bwatt at 1fifoto.com
Thu Dec 18 19:30:31 CST 2014

Tim,

I can't answer if this is crazy talk. All I can do is tell you my story
and you can maybe derive your own conclusions. IOW, YMMV.

I was a thru-hiker this year and started at Campo a little bit early on
April 16th to keep ahead of the herd too. When I summitted Mt. San
Jacinto I endured an overnight snow storm at Fuller ridge on April 26th.
I got to Ziggy and the Bear's home on April 27th after getting a ride
late in the day just after coming down from the mountain. From there to
Big Bear on April 30th and beyond I didn't encounter any snow storms or
snow on the trail until the Sierra Nevada mountain passes. On May 23rd
around mile 700 we had two days of rain which became snow in the Sierra
Nevada mountains. So when I arrived at Forrester Pass on May 28th there
was relatively new snow on the approach and for miles after the pass on
the northern exposure. This was similar for all the other passes I
encountered too. I got into Tuolumne Meadows on June 8th and Castella &
I-5 on July 7th. After Sonora Pass on June 13th there was almost no snow
except for a few small (10-30 feet) snow drifts at higher elevations.

Overall I had no problems with water by following the water report. I
used what caches I found and tried not to rely upon them however I was
thankful they were there when I did encounter them. Once you're in the
Sierra Nevada mountains it was overly plentiful. However, you again had
to be conservative with water in Northern California.

Sincerely,
Tartan/Bri