[pct-l] Planning a Section Hike - Ziggy & The Bear to I-5

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 00:59:02 CST 2014

It's not crazy at all, but you'll have to be flexible.  Some years it's
fine with plenty of water due to the early start, and others it can have
lots of snow.  In 2010 and 2011 the Southern mtns had a lot of snow at that
time of the year. We encountered some of the worst ice of the whole hike in
the San Jacinto mtns in mid April in 2010, and as I remember, those who
hiked in 2011 reported deep snow in the San Gabriel and San Bernardino
mtns.  In 2012, 13 and 14, it was negligible.  Stay tuned and keep
following the weather and be prepared for snow and ice or to modify your
hike if it turns out to be a high snow year.  It's just way too early to be
able to give you an answer to this one at this point.  But it's not crazy
at all.  Even in the high snow years, we had a ball up there.  But be
prepared for snow if that's what you end up with.  And the 10 deg bag
should be fine.  I did it with a 20 deg and had no problem during a very
cold spring.

Shroomer