[pct-l] Campo horse stable offered up as PCT & or ADZPCTKO storage/staging facility.

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 26 18:38:44 CST 2014

Howdy do!

Paint Your Wagon here... my friends call me Paint- and me mum had the unmitigated gall to call me Perry; but I digress.

Rode my bicycle to Campo in March. Stored my bicycle in one of the four still existing WWII military horse stables. The curator (? John ?) of the Motor Transport Museum, located nearby and east of Cameron Corners, is restoring them one by one.

He offered me a place to store my bike and trailer this year while I hiked the PCT. In exchange for the courtesy I offered to return at a future date and donate a period of time to him, performing carpenter work.

That being said, the curator informed me that he had contacted the PCTA, offering one half of a building to the PCT community. Someone in Sacramento, conveyed to him that the PCTA was not interested in the offer.

I suggested that he contact the trail maintenance chief for section A of the PCT, and the ADZPCTKO coordinators, as well as all of the trail angels in the greater San Diego area, to see if any of them would find merit in using the building.

I certainly do.

The buildings are very large and are constructed in post and beam fashion using age old joinery techniques (mortise and tendon). For what it’s worth, I am a retired carpenter with 40 years experience, thus I know-eth what I speak-eth when I say the buildings are damn near bomb proof. The floor is concrete and has utilities installed, which are the usual and sundry electricity, sewer, water, etc... I’m not sure about natural gas though. Additionally, a private restroom exists, and a second separate room is available for a kitchen area. The floor space is approximately 50’ x 200’. Parking is available and the four buildings are completely enclosed by a six foot chain link fence. Stating the obvious, equestrians would find great use in the facilities. Hikers, equestrians, trail maintenance crews and ADZPCTKO personnel could stage out of the property. Tools and equipment could be stored there long term, as well as vehicles and trailers.

I’m guessing the curator, who’s full name escapes me at the moment, has probably made some effort at contacting some of the aforementioned parties. I’m finally off the trail and back home in AZ., and this message is my promise to follow up.

Anywho; do with it what you will. In closing- I’ll add my two cents worth. It seems quite practical to explore this offer further.

Paint.