[pct-l] Start time

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 19:53:24 CST 2014

I started at 3:30pm on April 30 in 2008. I did not think May 1 was
too late at all. I was cold a great deal of the time in So Cal even
that late. I froze at the Cottonwood Bridge on Aqueduct day. In 2009
I rehiked part of So Cal on the same dates I was there in 2008. I was
rained on in the desert on Aqueduct day. I was rained on many days
all the way to Kennedy Meadows and beyond in 2009. I had to hike in
fresh snow to get to Lone Pine! Again in 2010 and 2011 section hikes
I did in So Cal were full of rain and coldness. I was starting to get
the feeling the PCT hates me.

You can't make blanket statements that So Cal is hot and dry or May X
is too late to start. You just never know what you're going to get.

My theory about this drought we are having, since I live here in So
Cal and have been out in the back country and seen lots of water,
even in shallow pools, is that although this is the year of the big
drought, it'll be next year that things will start to get dire if it
doesn't rain. There's still ground water.