[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 74, Issue 3

Wolfgang Greystoke wolfgangg at email.com
Tue Feb 4 00:43:41 CST 2014

I don't think this is correct either. In Washington State (the only area I have experience with) Chainsaws and other power equipment is regularly used in both the National Forest and the National Parks, I don't know about BLM land, but I would think that they would use it there too. The only areas that are forbidden from using any mechanical equipment is in a designated  *Wilderness Area.* I have seen trails cleared right up to the Wilderness sign on a tree or post. Then the trail has blow downs and other stuff making it had to follow. The Parks around here, at least to my knowledge, use chainsaws on there pro crews but not the volunteer crews, but I think that is a liability issue not a Wilderness issue. Just think of the lawsuit it you cut your leg off working in a National park! I'm sure the layers would get filthy rich! :) In Washington, the biggest issue on a year to year basis is not the blow downs, but the brush growth that has to be cleared off the trail every year. This is done mostly by volunteer trail crews. They also take out blow downs and work on other aspects of the trail, but brush clearing is a big job up here where stuff grows all year long! Wolfman >There seems to be confusion on this issue. >Chainsaws are prohibited in Forest Service and BLM Wilderness. >They ARE NOT BANNED in National Parks. >I think those who advocate that it is impossible for there to be a wilderness experience when chainsaws are allowed, need to explain why I never hear anyone complain about travelling through wilderness in Yosemite, Yellowstone, SEKI, etc? >Seems like....in practice....there is no difference.