[pct-l] Start time

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 15:42:19 CST 2014

In my opinion, doing So cal in July and August would be miserable. And
potentially deadly. June is about the end of the season for us. The PCT
doesn't stay high enough in altitude long enough to make for a good trip
at that time of year.

Couple years ago it was unseasonably cool in end of June, beginning of
July so TrailHacker decided to hike Section C (I-10 to Big Bear area)
starting around July 4. Well, the day we got there the unseasonably cool
weather was over. It was 108 at 5pm when we got to the trailhead. We
hiked a few hours and camped on the trail. It was too hot all night to
cover your body. It did finally cool off sometime in the night and was
pleasant in the morning. I said good-bye to him and went home. Later I
got a call and he sounded like he was dying.

It had been about 120 degrees with some kind of heat index making it
feel like I don't know, 150 or something ridiculous like that. He tried
to get to Mission Creek because he'd be okay since there would be water
available all day as he hiked into the altitude. But he could not make
it. He got all confused and sort of lost and took a heat-muddled
brainstorm of a shortcut that nearly killed him, back to Whitewater
creek where he hunkered down under some kind of driftwood shelter and
alternated between sitting in the water and sitting under the shelter.

Yeah, you don't want to have to experience that. Go do a section hike of
the CDT instead. I highly recommend the Winds. That's the most gorgeous
place I have ever been.