[pct-l] Filter vs. Chlorine dioxide

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 20:54:00 CST 2014

I have a Sawyer filter *and* use Aqua Mira, but not both all the time. I
always at least use the Sawyer filter for possibly dangerous water sources.

The Aqua Mira chemicals make nasty tasting water taste better after
filtering. Not needed much, but carried in case something happens to the
sawyer filter, a very lightweight backup in case I no longer trust my
filter.

The Sawyer filter is _very_ lightweight and much more versatile than any
filter system that must be pumped. I can use it in-line with a bladder, and
not even need to wait for water to filter, I can filter it as needed. Fill
the bladder, stow it, get cracking, sip and smile.

The Sawyer filter is cleaned by backflushing with a provided syringe.
simple, easy, fast. The Katadyn filter needs to be cleaned and/or scrubbed
if I remember correctly?

How much does the Katadyn weigh? How easy could it be broken? No moving
parts in the Sawyer, and about 3-5 ounces, depending on how much water it
might contain at any moment. The same precautions must be taken with both
to protect from damage by freezing.

Luce Cruz