[pct-l] Insole-nt Question

Jim Bravo jimbravo2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 07:56:51 CST 2014

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 13:03:24 -0800
From: Michael Slusser <michael.slusser at gmail.com>
Subject: [pct-l] Insole-nt Question
To: PCT <pct-l at backcountry.net>

Here's the short version of my story (no, really):

About a decade ago, I started having trouble with heel, toe, and knee pain
and swelling (plantar fasciitis, metatarsalgia kinds of issues)--not
constant, but too often. I tried out Superfeet and had a good results with
only occasional bouts of trouble, maybe once a month. As I started prepping
for the thru-hike this year, the incidents started to worry me more, so I
tried out half a dozen orthotics. A trip to the orthopedist later, I still
hadn't found a great solution. I've had Montrails, Solomons, New Balance,
and Brooks, all of which performed about the same.

In frustration, one day I took out all the trappings and walked around in
shoes with no insole at all.

That was four months ago, and since I haven't had a single issue. I'm
afraid to be hopeful that this is a solution, but I'm willing to try it out.

The only concern is that, without an insole, I feel a lot of the rocks and
other detritus on the path. So the question is, does anyone have a good
suggestion for some sort of very, very thin padding to take the place of
the missing insoles?

Muchas gracias,

Professor Errant

--
*Quid sum? Nil. Quis sum? Nullus. Sed gratia Christi, quod sum, quod vivo,
quodque laboro, facit.*

---------------------------

Professor Errant:

As many on this list have, I too have eliminated chronic plantar fasciitis,
posterior tibial tendon issues, and other overuse injuries by using no
insole of any type and using an inexpensive flat running shoe (no motion
control features). Thanks to Shroomer for suggesting the book "Born to
Run", a fun and educational read.

When the ball of my left foot starts aching, feeling like a bone bruise is
developing, I insert a pair of flat comfort inserts (not really insoles)
that I carry made by Spenco. They are about 1/8 inch thick and are
virtually indestructible. I used them for years when I was a runner and I
don't know how you can wear them out! You'll need replacement before they
will. Be careful not to get the arch supports, get the flat ones. Here's a
link to the manufacturer's page:

http://www.spenco.com/product.aspx?ProdId=52&catid=2&cid=#.UvThX7RGbIU

Jim