[pct-l] Foot ready, are you?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Feb 7 12:55:34 CST 2014

On 2/7/2014 8:19 AM, Joshua Walsh wrote:

> Wow, as a newbie I can see how foot problems stop soooo many hikers.

I was one of them.

> After I read many PCT desert trail journals, there appears to be
> difficulty with foot problems past the first 200 to 400 miles.

I got stopped before that.

> Any Solutions or advice?

> To begin with, I was thinking of only hiking max of 15 miles/day the
> first 100.

After 15 miles you will be bored and want to hike farther. In some
places lack of water will push you farther. Shoot for 16 - 18 miles a
day for the first couple of weeks, and go farther when you can or have to.

> Secondly, pre-training months before the start date

Yes.

> In consideration of these factors: Heat, Friction/Pressure, and
> Weighted Pounding..
>
> 1. Battery Heated socks with sand paper inserts covered by..
> (Waterproof Socks)

I hope you are joking.

> 3. Ankle weights,

No. You want to train for the activity that you will be doing. On the
PCT, you gear will not be strapped to your ankles. It will be on your
back. It takes different muscles to move ankle weights than it does to
move weight on your back. Put some weight in a backpack and walk with
your pack. Some people suggest water bottles for weight. If you over do
it, you can dump out the water.

> Adding a weighted hip belt might also prove helpful.

Possibly.

Here is the deal. Train, train train. Train in conditions as close as
possible to the conditions you will encounter on the trail. Train in the
same shoes you will be wearing on the trail. Do some barefoot walking.

On the trail, keep your feet clean. The grit that gets through your
shoes and socks will eat up your feet. Keep your feet dry. Wet feet
blister more quickly. Rotate your socks. Have a pair pinned to the back
of your backpack drying out. At each break, switch socks. Wash them when
you can.

If you develop hot spots on your feet, deal with them right away.

And probably the most important thing, wear shoes that are one to two
sizes larger than you normally wear.