[pct-l] Water filter

Jake Handy jakers329 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 8 11:47:59 CST 2014

I'm using the sawyer water filter this year for my first thru-hike attempt.  I'm gathering from reading the posts on here that the best system is to use water bottles (ie smart water) and a platypus bladder.  The sawyer bags don't seem to stand up to the rigors of hiking.  Do I really need a bladder or can I use a water bottle to collect dirty water to squeeze into clean bottles?  Also, how often are people finding they need to wash out their filters; should I carry my syringe or bounce it?
Thanks all!
Jakers