[pct-l] International hiker, a few questions

Meike dideldadum at web.de
Mon Feb 10 15:46:57 CST 2014

Hallo Nummer vier auf meiner Liste deutscher Mitläufer,

Did you apply for your visa so far? It took me only three days waiting
(after travelling 600km, sleeping in another hikers living room, waiting
more than an hour outside the embassy and another hour inside, a
30-second-interview and travelling 600km back, haha).

1. There is a search tool for the list at
http://www.planyourhike.com/search/

3. Get in contact with trail angels in San Diego, order your stuff
online and have it send to them. I will stay with Scout and Frodo in San
Diego and have some things shipped to them (sandiegopct at gmail.com).
Maybe even a new ZPacks sleeping bag, not yet decided... Scout and Frodo
have so far already proven to be real angels.

4. The $/mile is usually meant to be your expenses on the trail:
resupply plus town stops plus gear that has to be exchanged on trail on
a regular basis, like shoes. That would make it probably more than 2000$
for most hikers.
I got a pretty cheap flight - Frankfurt via Reykjavik/Iceland and
Seattle to San Diego, 550 Eur. Found it on expedia.de, several dates.
Look out for that to save some money. Transportation in the US can
mostly be done by foot :), trail angels, hitch hiking. I did not book my
return ticket yet.
Gear in Germany: You know www.trekking-lite-store.com, I guess? Nice
german shop for light gear. They sometimes have things you don't get
anywhere else in Europe. Or call Matheuz Laufbursche
(www.laufbursche-gear.de) and talk him into custom-sewing a tent for you
:).

For any germany-specific questions we might consider talking off list...
feel free to mail to me.

When are you gonna start? Maybe see you on the trail...
Meike von der Nordsee