[pct-l] storing food?

Betty Wheeler bettywheeler at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 17:03:40 CST 2014

I agree with Trevor - that bear talk at kickoff was quite sobering. "A fed
bear is a dead bear" is not just a saying -- that ranger has had to
personally implement it, so not surprisingly, he felt very strongly about
the proper use of bear canisters.

I know many handle it differently, but for the record, here is what the NPS
recommends in terms of placement of your bear canister:

"Be sure to keep it closed and locked, even while you're around your
campsite. Place the container on the ground in a flat, level area 100 feet
or more from your campsite. Take care not to place it near a cliff or any
water source, as a bear may knock the container around or roll it down a
hill. Do not hang or attach anything to the container (ropes attached to
the container enable a bear to carry it away). You can place pots and pans
on top of the container as a bear alarm if you like."
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bearcanisters.htm

Gandalf's approach is the best -- have someone give you a Bearikade as a
gift! But even the more humble BearVault is a nice stool, and helps keep
those genius marmots out of your food and trash, along with serving its
stated purpose.

Betty