[pct-l] Socks... And Fire...

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Wed Feb 12 20:59:06 CST 2014

Man - there are so many opinions based in wealth of experience. Socks.
Such an easy place to share.  My perspective...

Use socks that are as tight and thin as possible.  You don't want thick
heels or toes that can rub back and forth, back and forth - foot rubbing
against sock.  You want your sock to be a part of your foot, totally
separate and distinct from your shoe.  If there's any rubbing going on,
it's between the shoe and sock not between the sock and foot.

The combination of loose shoes, tight socks and rhythmic walking let
your feet thrive after 100, 300 500 miles and beyond.  Feet spread over
the weeks and tight socks and loose shoes allow for expansion.

Common wisdom is to take breaks and air your feet out.  If you wear
tight, thin socks in big ole shoes, the need to stop and air is
lessened.  Your sweat evaporates better.  Blisters form because of heat
plus friction plus dampness.  Get rid of the friction and dampness, and
you can deal with the heat.  No blisters is the consequence of "dealing
with the heat."

Imagine you're a cartoon character with giant shoes, goofy and
indolent.  Two months into the hike those goofy, slapping, shifting
shoes receive the spreading foot.  You'll see it happen after a couple
seeks.  Six weeks later, your flapping, tightly socked feet are now
little slapping platforms helping you maintain 20 mpd...

Once you've got control of your foot reality, you can educate your
fellow hikers about the inadvisability of making fires anytime or
anywhere except in  case of EMERGENCY.,..  And emergency doesn't happen
very often.  You can be stupid about your feet and socks and shoes and
the only one that suffers is you.  If you're stupid about fire, you can
be responsible for lots of pain in the world.  DON'T BUILD FIRES PERIOD...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD, soon to move back to Laramie, WY...