[pct-l] Socks... And Fire...

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 13 02:11:29 CST 2014

Shroomer wrote:

Think of the Tarahumara of the Copper Canyons running 50 and 100 miles in
huaraches, loose open toes sandals with old tire tread for a sole.  Our
human feet are potentially very tough and strong.  The most important part
of getting that toughness and strength for me has been lots of training,
lots of grit, lots of hiking in all conditions and not supporting them with
the crutches, the supports and pads, that keep them from becoming strong.
 For me, "less is more."

I think that approach to footwear is awesome for those for whom it works,
and it works for a lot of people.  But for anyone looking for shoe advice,
pay special attention to the "lots of training, lots of grip, lots of hiking
in all conditions" part.  My observation is that most people who love
minimalist shoes only got there after lots and lots and lots of walking
beforehand so they were prepared for it.  Maybe some people go straight into
it and love it, I don't know.  But my point is whatever strategy you choose,
make sure you ease into it and practice a lot with it.  You can mess
yourself up by jumping straight to any extreme whether that's no-support
sandals or bombproof mountaineering boots.

Eric