[pct-l] Logistics for an Early Start

Eric Martinot eric at martinot.info
Thu Feb 13 03:27:38 CST 2014

Dan,

Just a thought... you can take Bus 894 west-bound (really southbound at
that point) from Lake Morena any weekday at 6:42am and get to Campo at
7am. (Not Campo/Cameron Corners, but the stop right at the store in
Campo.)  Then hike south to the border, and then north back to Morena.
Might not make it all the way back to Morena that evening, if you are
starting from the border at say 8am, but possible.

Bus route and schedule:
http://developer.sdmts.com/sdmtsapp/mtscr/TimeTable.aspx?r=894&d=West&display=V&tod=wd

The bus leaves right from the entrance to Lake Morena County Park, which
is about a 5 minute walk if I remember from the campground.

The reverse trip might not be so good, as the east-bound bus from Campo
to Morena is late afternoon, so you'd have to leave Morena really early
to hike fo Campo by then, or camp mid-way.

Eric

Dan Durston durston.dan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:59:03 CST 2014

My wife and I are hoping to get some miles covered before kick off so we
can take it easy for the first month while still getting to Kennedy
Meadows
around June 1. We're thinking of starting at Warner Springs and hiking
south to Kick-off. Then hopefully snagging a ride from there to the
border
on Sunday to arrive back at Lake Modena mid-day Monday and then
hopefully
hitching back to Warner Springs Monday afternoon.

Does this sound like the best plan? We could also hike south to Lake
Modena
but arrive a day earlier (Thursday) and then hope to complete the
Campo-Lake Modena section on Friday before K.O. This might let us snag a
ride from Kick off to Warner Springs at the end of K.O, but I'm not sure
we
could get a ride from Lake Modeno to Campo on Thursday. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan & Tara