[pct-l] Socks... And Fire...

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 10:20:11 CST 2014

What he said!  You're absolutely right Eric.  Our feet do not belong to
Tarahumara, but to modern Americans who have been living with modern
"supported" shoes for most of our lives.  I have known people who put on
minimalist shoes and had no problem right from the start, including 3 on
the CDT who went all the way with no problems.  But that's a real gamble,
the most important thing in my opinion is toughening your feet through lots
of walking in all conditions, preferably before you hit trail, at least it
is for me.

I spent six months traveling this year with very little hiking.  When I got
back to trail in August for a month of backpacking, I got some hot spots,
and I was only backpacking usually 8 to 15 miles per day.  That's nothing
like the speed and distance of a thru hike.  Six months of no grit, no wet
feet exposure, no rocks and ruts and I had to go through a break in again.
  So setting up for another long hike this season, I've been training all
winter and have brought back a good bit of the toughness and strength I
usually have when I'm thru hiking.  Now I can get out for a full day of
hiking and come back with no hot spots and feet that feel pretty good the
next day.  So train, train, train.  At least that's important for me.

Shroomer