[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 74, Issue 16

lorna at ptera.net lorna at ptera.net
Sat Feb 15 12:10:56 CST 2014

The Parcho looks quite similar to the Packa, which I love.

I was on the fence too but received Golite's Chrome Dome as a gift and
ended up loving it.  It was invaluable in the desert or any intense
sunlight, made a great windshield, and was part of a super comfortable rain
gear system along with my pack-cover/poncho (the parcho:
http://myplace.frontier.com/~bgurwell1/parcho.htm).  When it was attached
to my shoulder strap (especially easy on ULA packs) I could keep my poncho
unzipped almost to my waist for better venting and still stay dry.  It
eliminated the need to wear a hood - which are usually too warm and
restrictive for my taste - and let me wear a stocking cap in cold WA rain.
Pictures were easy in bad weather because my camera stayed dry. I swear, in
Southern California it felt like it kept me 20 degrees cooler just
by creating shade and allowing me to take my sun hat off to catch the
breeze. My husband and I are both total converts.

We sent them home at KM and got them back in Cascade Locks.  If I were to
do it again either keep it through the Sierras or pick it up in Tahoe to
have for NorCal-Ashland.