[pct-l] Query about storing dehydrated meat

Louisa Bartlett louisa.bartlett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 06:16:45 CST 2014

Hello all,

After numerous discussions with various levels of the US Government, we
have established that we can bring dehydrated meals into California from
Australia (providing that they do not contain poultry). As such, we are
starting to dehydrate meals in preparation for a mid-April start date.

The internet has various opinions about how long dehydrated meat remains
safe to eat after it has been dehydrated and vacuum sealed. Most people
recommend freezing dehydrated/vacuum sealed meat for long storage. Do
people think that freezing our meals for the next three or so weeks that we
have at home before we fly over is worth it? Some people appear to have
stored their dehydrated/vacuum sealed meat at room temperature for over 6
months and had no problems.

Dehydrating food works for us and we'd really like to use dehydrated meals
for most of our hike. We understand that a precise answer might be
difficult but any thoughts or comments from people who have experience
using homemade dehydrated meals on the PCT would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your assistance

Louisa and Ella