[pct-l] Insole-nt Question

Betty Wheeler bettywheeler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 13:03:03 CST 2014

My "foot happiness" formula:  roomy minimalist shoes with 4mm or less drop
and minimal cushioning, thin socks, Dirty Girl gaiters, Leukotape, and a
cream or salve specifically formulated to condition but not soften calluses
and to prevent cracks (e.g., Joshua Tree climbing salve), which I use at
night after cleaning my feet. I also do a fair amount of barefoot walking
or running, to help strengthen and condition my feet.

I'm a big fan of New Balance Minimus (I've been using the original women's
Minimus 1010, and am nervous that v.2 is different and getting bad reviews,
but I still have one relatively new pair of the originals, plus a "reserve"
pair on the shelf). New Balance shoes are easy to get in wide versions (D
in my case), which means a very roomy toe box. In my book, a roomy toe box
+ a minimal shoe is the #1 way to avoid foot problems. My test:  If a shoe
doesn't fit me while I'm wearing CorrectToes, then it's not wide enough in
the toe box -- not that I wear CorrectToes while hiking, but it does allow
me to see if a shoe accommodates my toes when properly spaced.

I'm also a big believer in Leukotape. Much better than duct tape! Put it on
at the first sign of a hot spot or problem area, and you're golden. It
comes in a big roll, so I just put strips of it onto parchment paper or
address label backing paper for my first aid kit, and then cut to suit the
purpose when I'm using it on trail. (But Leukotape is not for anyone with
latex allergy.)

I've been known to remove insoles from shoes and hike without any, but have
been testing out Toasty Feet insoles, which block both heat and cold. They
are pretty thin and offer minimal padding, and I've been trying them out
with some success to help with cold -- they are supposed to help with heat,
also, but haven't tested that out.

Some years ago, after too many years in relatively low dress heels that
were essentially required for work, I had a lot of foot pain, and got what
I now consider to be ridiculously bad medical advice -- including expensive
and rigid custom orthotics, suggestions that I give up running, etc.
Everyone's situation is different, but once I did some training using
barefoot principles, and worked out my "foot happiness formula," all of
that foot pain became a distant memory.

Betty