[pct-l] Costco CF trekking poles -weight question No 2.

Luce Cruz lucecruz13 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 18:03:11 CST 2014

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Frank Gilliland
<frankgilliland at gmail.com> asks
the serious questions:

> So, is this the weight per "each" pole or for the pair.  And being a gram
> winnie.....did you remove the rubber foot.

The pair of them. Being an anti-gram-weenie type, but since I am not simply
a total dick about it, I will simply tell you that each rubber foot weighs
13 grams. I think the 13 gram figure/rubber foot could be enough leeway for
anyone in that not every scale will give the same result when these poles
are weighed, and not every set of poles will weigh 449g. In other words,
there are far more serious things in my  mind to worry about than 13 grams
a rubber foot.

And while I'm talking about it, I would really like to see more rubber feet
on hiking poles on the trail. I can only imagine what those small tips are
doing to loosen compacted ground and possibly increase erosion. I am no
environmental scientist or expert of any kind, and I've stayed in a holiday
inn express before, but I believe that the rubber feet do less damage to
the ground, and the steel tips are still under there if you reach somewhere
you really need them. We cannot leave no trace whatsoever, but we can leave
less of a trace.

I can put a lot of weight on my Leki and Black Diamond poles.  What do you
> think with the Costco Poles????

I leaned on them (data point: I'm 6'3", 265 pounds, overweight but pretty
muscular) and I was able to adjust the locks until they didn't slip. I have
not tried them on trail. I can easily imagine a dozen scenarios where they
would snap like a toothpick, but they appear well built. I think they would
hold up as well as other CF poles, but they are cheap enough that you can
buy two pair and have the other pair in a bounce box in case you need them.
I never had *any* troubles with the older Costco cam lock cf poles either,
but I had heard so many great thing about flick-lock poles that I grabbed
them.

Costco, not just for Snickers Bars!

Or hot dogs.

> By the way, the Costco Beer is just plain Awful!!!!  Stay with Sierra
> Nevada!
>
> StarMan

I drink all kinds of beer. It just has to be cold. I don't keep higher
standards for my beer than I keep for myself.

Luce Cruz