[pct-l] Costco CF trekking poles -weight question No 2.

ralvek088-hiking at yahoo.com ralvek088-hiking at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 17 19:12:40 CST 2014

I got a pair of similar Costco poles about an year back and indeed they are lightweight, pretty well made and

are a great value.

A couple things to note:

-  I also own a pair of Leki (13 years old) and a pair of Black Diamond ( < 2 years old) poles; while
significantly heavier, they are much sturdier than the Costco poles. I wouldn't trust the Costco poles to take the kind of abuse
my Leki poles have taken over the years: lots of on- and off-trail hiking in all kinds of terrain. I broke the tip
one time and was able to easily replace it. The Lekis are completely scratched up from all the rocks etc but still
extremely solid and completely reliable. I won't even bother to talk about the three pairs of Walmart and Target poles
that barely lasted one back-country trip. If you're only using the poles on not very rocky trails, they'll probably work fine.

- those rubber feet: beware! On steep down hills, the rubber feet provide no traction at all; I personally had to administer first-aid
to a hiker who a took a bad tumble when the Costco pole she was hiking with just slid despite her planting the pole firmly in front of her.
I suggest you remove the rubber feet if you want the poles to help arrest your slide! I'm sure the shoes help protect paved paths but they
are a problem on most other terrain.