[pct-l] Time frame for Kennedy Meadows

gary_schenk at verizon.net gary_schenk at verizon.net
Tue Feb 18 09:55:41 CST 2014

 On 02/16/14, Jenna Snyder wrote:

 I have no real training with an ice axe so will probably not be carrying
one through the Sierras. With that being said I am wondering when a good
time to leave Kennedy Meadows and start the Sierras would be. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That depends! :-)

It's been a really dry winter...so far. That could change. There have been years recently where May and June were big snow months. The PCT isn't mountaineering, and can be thru-hiked without an ice axe, and is every year. You'll have to know when to wait to ascend or descend certain passes. Are you thru-hiking? If not, wait until September, the best month in the Sierra.

Gary