[pct-l] May High Sierra Recon

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Feb 18 15:37:32 CST 2014

Typically, we try to time our arrival at KM so that we are ahead of the “herd” of PCT thrus heading north while being within the “start frame” for entering the sierra. (Personally, I’d go in a few weeks earlier so that the nights are still freezing and the snow bridges are still strong).

The whole idea of these “First-In” snow skills instructional courses is to show aspiring thru hikers for the next year (in this case, 2015) exactly what it takes to snow-hike the sierra so they can go home and plan realistically for it.  "Amat Victoria Curam," right?

So, yes, Mr. Ladd, we will be cutting steps across Forester’s ice chute once again! Please look at the photo album on the Mountain Education Facebook site regarding Forester ascent & descent route selection for more information on what this pass looks like during thru-hiker season (after a normal winter)!

Besides calling back to the Kennedy Meadows General Store with snowline locations and creek conditions, we have in the past also called the PCTA so they can post the current snow info, too.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org