[pct-l] PCT - Hard Dirt?

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Feb 19 14:07:39 CST 2014

[pct-l] PCT - Hard Dirt?

Yes Iron Chef,
I do that all the time....it works great.
However, you forgot to mention that sometimes there are no rocks
to be found,...therefore hikers using that method should always
have some rocks in their packs for the areas that are void of rocks.

Those rocks could also be used to crack Macadamia Nuts or create
the spark to start a fire if you run out of matches.

BTW...At 200 calories/oz Macadamia Nuts are a great source of
energy and beat any other trail food.
You have to drink straight oil to beat that calorie count.
Also, Macadamia Nuts are high in Monounsaturated oil which is one
of the most benign oil and does not effect your cholesterol.
I rely heavy on Macadamia Nuts to deliver the energy on my JMT
speed hikes.

So, if you use the above method to pitch your tent, be prepared
and carry sufficient rocks (one for each stake and one extra,
just in case).

Just in case all the rocks were scooped up by the other hikers
and you can't find any rocks at the KO, go see "SWITCHBACK" he
always has a lot of rocks at his tent.

JMT Reinhold
----------------------------
Iron Chef wrote:
If you have a free-standing tent with guy lines and find yourself on
hard dirt, just take the part of the line that would normally attach to
a stake, and loop it around a rock with an adjustable knot.

Example:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch

Then, just adjust as necessary to give the line the right tension.

Practice this one at home before you leave, so you're confident with
your gear.

Happy trails!

Iron Chef (PCT '02)