[pct-l] Idylwild alternate route?

Dan Welch welchenergy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:52:56 CST 2014

<< I've been chatting with a friend in Idylwild and she thinks there might
be a way to bypass some road walking by cutting off of 74 at Hurkey Creek
and taking a trail north from there to May Road which one could either walk
till you get to Idylwild or possibly take the South Ridge trail to the PCT
and over to Saddle Junction and down to Hummer Park. Or take May Valley road
to the southern part of the South Ridge trail and hop off at the South Ridge
trailhead and then hike neighborhood roads into Idylwild. Anyone else have
knowledge of these options or if the FS map we are looking at is way off
base?>>

I have been in touch with Andrew Smith who is the lead person at the USFS
for figuring this out.  He has been working in coordination with PCTA to
evaluate alternate routes.  His last email to me on Feb 4th (copied below)
was pretty clear that May Valley Road would not be open this season for thru
hiking.

Hikin' Jim has posted what I consider to be the best alternate at:
http://caltopo.com/map?id=7S5F

This Caltopo map is interactive so you can change the zoom, change from
satellite to topo view, etc.  Note that the red routes are closed.  Also,
the yellow route along 74 is almost entirely off to the side of 74, not on
the roadway.

If other folks have other ideas, please jump in!

Timberline

*****

Hi Dan,

Currently the trail is in disrepair and unsafe enough to keep the closure in
place at least for the year. The closure includes May Valley Road. PCT
hikers will have to exit via Cedar Springs/ Morris Ranch road and can either
regain the trail on Southridge (outside the closure) or Devils Slide Trail.

We are currently doing trail assessments with a BAER ( burned area emergency
rehabilitation) contract team and also will be utilizing a PCTA trails crew
to work on the section of trail from Cedar Spring to Fobbes this March.  On-
going monitoring will continue as needed.

Thanks for your inquiry,

Andrew