[pct-l] Nite Hiking and Flashlights

Betty Wheeler bettywheeler at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 17:10:58 CST 2014

File this away under "eccentric gear recommendations," but I'm not a fan of
headlamps, and prefer a light that can I can either hold or attach wherever
I want it with a small carabiner or cord. I use a Waka Waka Power, which is
a combination solar charger and lamp. It serves as my "flashlight," tent
lamp, and my solar charger to keep my cellphone powered (yes, that's me in
the brightly-lit tent, recharging my cellphone from my Waka Waka while
reading a book on my Kindle phone app...). It also has an SOS light mode.
I'm not sure why the website says this is ~200 grams -- mine is 141 grams
(4.97 oz.). The LED burn time per solar charge is 20+ hours at 100%
brightness, 40+ hours at 50% brightness. I just hang it from the top of my
pack, and it has flexible positioning so I can adjust it to the best angle
for optimal solar charging. It's very small for a solar charger, and, very
large compared to a headlamp. The solar recharging capacity is not enough
for someone who uses electronics intensively, but it works great for my
relatively modest needs.
http://us.waka-waka.com/products/

Not for everyone, and your mileage (or wattage) will undoubtedly vary...

Betty