[pct-l] Blisters & Getting into Hiking Shape

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Feb 22 06:11:28 CST 2014

Hi gang,
There have been many opinions about blisters and getting into hiking shape.

Blisters are caused by pressure and friction and tender skin is much more
likely to blister than tough skin.

So, Confucius says...eliminate pressure and friction and tender skin and
you eliminate problem.

As has already been pointed out pressure points and friction can be reduced
by wearing shoes that are on the large side to allow for foot swelling
and a
wide enough foot box to allow the toes to move freely without rubbing
against
each other, to prevent in between toes blisters.

But even more important is transforming tender foot skin into tougher skin.
In the USMC we accomplished that by hiking and walking only in combat
boots made out of thick leather with no cushioned inner soles or soft inner
padding or lining...just tough leather inside and out.
After a while the skin will get tougher and thicker, callous like, and
not likely
to blister, especially not in in soft, padded hiking shoes.

I'm not saying toughen up your feet in combat boots but you could do your
training in heavy duty hiking boots (waffle stompers) or construction boots,
wearing real thin socks to toughen up your skin.
Also walking barefoot outside as much as possible, especially on the beach,
with the continuous rubbing and friction of the sand really toughens up
the skin.

I never get blisters because I have real tough, callous like skin on my
feet.
That is from running around barefooted and playing soccer barefooted as
a kid and wearing combat boots for 4 years.

You don't have to take it to that extreme, but I think I made my
point....the
more the tougher.

As far as getting into hiking shape, I will say this....any exercise that
strengthens your lakes is good for hiking...biking, running,skiing, tennis,
squats, toe raises, etc...are all good exercises.
However,...you are not exercising the same muscles or not exercising them
the same way as when you are hiking.
Therefore,...if you want to get into hiking shape there is no better way
than
hiking,...preferably with a pack on terrain similar to hiking trails and
hills.

The idea is to exercise the same muscles, the same way as when you are
hiking.
The more the better, to get the body used to and conditioned to hiking.

Some folks will say...No need to do all that, your body will get used to
it and in
shape as you go along.
This may be true, but there is no substitute for being prepared and
ready from
the start ....it reduces early misery, potential injury and drop outs by
increasing
the odds for a successful "thru-hike".

During the off hiking season I try to keep my legs in good condition by
biking, skiing, tennis, etc.
But, to keep them in hiking shape I also take long walks with a pack and
heavy boots, or if jogging shoes with ankle irons.
Not far from my house there is a very steep hill and a set of stairs,
with 80 steps.
A few loops of that hill and 25 loops of the stairs will make you suck wind.

I am drawn to that because it is very close to what one encounters going
over
the passes in the Sierra.

I know, everybody has their own opinion and way of getting into hiking shape
and my way may not be the way for everybody,,,,but that is my opinion
and my way.

JMT Reinhold