[pct-l] Expensive trail food (was Re: PCT - Hard Dirt?)

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 22 20:45:43 CST 2014

Brick is right about food(s) on the PCT  I have been dealing with PCT hikers  starting in 1994 and I can tell you a few things about hiker food over the years.....20....
Hikers tend to sit home in feb/mar/april  thinking about what food to pack for a thru hike......so they go buy this food and pack it up for their 4 month hike... This also is about the folks who freeze dry their food and buy expensive choc. and lots of almonds and pecans and other high end expensive foods.....
Lets bring in here the folks who think WOW its hard to find pro on the trail so lets go veg the whole way. Something that doesn't  show up here on PCT is how many people change their food eating habits on the trail......I remember girls talking about fan...about eating hot dogs who never in their lives  ate one....
I was once at Donnas house in AD cooking flake steak and had 2veg. come out of their tents for a taste....
If you are a 2014 hiker you will soon learn.....what your  other 2014 hikers are getting in their mail drops that will end  up in the hiker boxes. I am here to tell you its some of the best food on the pct but even you may tired of glazed pecans or freeze dried strawberries....
So yes pack your b oxes for the first 500 miles   with what you like but for the  next 500 change it and tell you person at home sending you your boxes to be prepared to do so.....

Hiker boxes become battleground zero by the time you reach O....
On Saturday, February 22, 2014 3:05 PM, Brick Robbins <brick at brickrobbins.com> wrote:

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Sir Mixalot <atetuna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pecans have about the same calories per ounce.  Sunflower seeds are nearly
> 240 calories per ounce.

Here is a table of calories

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/Carbs-Fats-And-Calories-In-Nuts-And-Seeds.htm

> Every last gram is worthless if it's still in your
> food bag when you walk into the next town, so get what you'll eat instead
> of what looks best on a spreadsheet.  If you're lucky you'll find something
> that's both.

That is the best advice of all. The only problem is that you don't
know that food that you love will be.... And it will change as the
miles pass.

HOYH, YMMV.