[pct-l] Tyvek, small containers, health

dm dm at quixnet.net
Sun Feb 23 08:24:48 CST 2014

Tyvek:  Lowe's and other similar businesses get bundles of
lumber covered with tyvek.  I went to Lowe's and just asked
an employee for a piece.  He gave me the entire sheet that
was in their dumpster.  Cut out what you need and save the
rest for late.  Running it thru a wash cycle will soften it.

Small containers:  Prescription drugs should be labeled to
prevent seizing by TSA, etc.  To avoid carrying several pill
bottles, I ordered small ziplock parts bags from an
industrial supply business.  The pharmacy printed up new Rx
labels for me to put on the bags. I carry a small supply of
meds I might need and also have copies of the prescription
in case I need a refill along the way.

Aging and activity:  Shroomer gave some good advice about
lifestyle and health.  My wife and I pretty much live like
that, staying very active, exercising, etc.  She started
running at 67 while recovering from very aggressive breast
cancer and the subsequent radical surgery plus very
aggressive chemotherapy and radiation.  Ran her first
half-marathon at 68 and continues to run several ties a
week, doing weights on the off days.  She came in first in
her age group in her last race.

I bike 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year, hike, do yoga every day
and have been training for 3 months preparing to resume my
PCT hike that was interrupted by a broken foot last year at
Idyllwild.  In a few weeks I will pick up my hike at Saddle
Junction, where I left the trail last year.  Somewhere north
of the Sierras I will celebrate my 74th birthday.

This info is written with the hope of encouraging you
younger people to keep active, be wise about what kind and
how much food you eat.  You'll rust up before you wear out
so KEEP MOVING!  Be wise also about what you put in your
mind.  Read some positive, uplifting books.  Hang out with
optimistic, compassionate people.

On a final note, ladies, especially you young ones that
think you don't need to do it yet, PLEASE do a breast
self-exam EVERY MONTH!  Don't rely on an annual mammogram to
protect you.  They are notoriously unreliable.  My wife's
last mammogram was totally clear just 6 months before a
large, fast-growing cancer was removed, along with both
breasts and a lot of lymph nodes.  OK, rant off.

Have a happy hike!

Duracell