[pct-l] Rain Finally Back in the Forecast for California; and... (speaking of lightning)

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 24 13:20:38 CST 2014

Cheers all-

There’s a chance that most of California will receive an inch of rain by
Sunday.
Some areas may receive dramatically more rainfall/snowfall than others.
Two weather systems are inbound.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/california-rain-returns-drough/23618313

<>Paint<>

(speaking of lightning)

While hiking last year in the high sierras,
lightning striking the passes around noon time was both spectacular and down
right scary.

On occasion,
I failed to position myself strategically,
so as to summit the high passes before the routine weather systems built
up/moved in,
putting me in what can accurately be described as life threatening
situations.
I kid you not.
I did get the hang of it after making it through a number of these storms.
Wow! What a literal trial by fire.
To the local back ranger’s credit;
some hand written warnings were posted extoling the virtue of clearing the
described passes by noon.
After a few near death experiences (or so it would seem) I quickly learned
to lay up under a pass overnight,
if I couldn’t make it over the top in time to avoid said storm.
These passes I speak of, are the eight biggies along the JMT, from Forester
to Donoghue.

Are there any briefings regarding lightning enriched environments and hiker
protocol,
being offered/planned/contemplated at the ADZPCTKO?

I’ve found some online websites addressing this issue, describing what to
do, and amazed in the process,
by learning about (heretofore) unknown facts and characteristics of
lightning.

http://www.pcta.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/BackcountryLightningSafety.pdf