[pct-l] Ups and downs - a visual

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 16:38:56 CST 2014

Folks often ask me what a typical day on the PCT is like for mileage and
ups and downs.  I provide them this visual:

Strap 35 pounds on your back.
Take the stairs to the top of the Empire State Building.
Walk back down.
Then, walk a 20 mile loop, returning back to the Empire State Building.
Do the stairs to the top and back down again.

And, I add that that feat will be repeated each walking day in one form or
another, on average, with the benefit that on some days, the stairs are
covered in a half inch of dust or loose rock, or the sprinklers are going
off, or you realize that you will have only the water you started with at
the beginning of the day to last you until after the first climb tomorrow
morning.

Can we go yet?