[pct-l] To waterproof or not to waterproof (ye old sleeping bag) that is thee question.

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 25 18:41:12 CST 2014

OK,
Experts, newbies, wannabes, confidantes, pirates, confederates, reprobates,
miscreants,
escapees, people of no verifiable income, and all card carrying members in
good standing-
What say ye in regards to waterproofing a (my) sleeping bag?
Pros? Cons?

Background- last fall while up in the big mountains I carried one of those
emergency mylar bags (space blanket like)
that weighed maybe 4 ounces, and when it got really cold I would use it as
an outer shell,
but the condensation that formed between the outside of my sleeping bag and
the inside of the emergency bag was ridiculous.
My bag would be sopping wet, every single time by morning. On a positive
note, it was way warmer with the emergency bag than without.
I would as a matter of routine, lay up somewhere around high noon and dry
everything out.

Can I expect my newly waterproofed sleeping bag to act in this same manner
by trapping condensation inside the bag?
(Removing patrol cap and scratching head...)

NOTE: I originally bought the treatment to use on my tent and fly which is
still going to happen.

Bag: one each Mountain Hardware synthetic Pinole 20.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Award_10_CL.html

Solution: one each 17 fl. oz. bottle of NIKWAX Tent & Gear Solarproof
(waterproofing & UV blocker).
http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=502&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

FWIW: I will be upgrading to a Big Agnes Mystic SL 15 before entering the
sierras.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/MysticSL152014

Wanna’ hijack the thread?
Wanna’ talk about last night, hmmm?