[pct-l] To waterproof or not to waterproof (ye old sleeping bag)

Heather Darnell mom_and_alex at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 26 13:38:24 CST 2014

Paint, I used the emergency mylar bag with my hammock. (Long story short, too small a pack, too much food = no room for sleeping quilt!)
After basting all Friday night, in 30-degree weather, I opened a slit in the end for Saturday night, again 30 degrees. Slid the whole contraption over the hammock. The ventilation was a huge improvement. I have repeated this since and as long as my skin doesn't have to touch the mylar I'm okay! (Love my silk jammies!)

If you have already done your bag, you could consider inside-out, as though you were using the VBL?
Or, if you haven't, perhaps just either top side and edges only, if you cowboy camp (shelter-less) or bottom side and edges, a' la "bathtub-floor bag", if you camp footprint-less?
Just bandying about various thoughts, not saying they are good ones...

Message: 8