[pct-l] solo hiker starting at Walker Pass

robert bobbilbo at msn.com
Wed Feb 26 15:00:23 CST 2014

I guess I have a different perspective than iPint about starting at Walker Pass.  Two summers ago a group of us did the section from Walker Pass to Wallace Creek then west to Mineral Springs in late July and early August.  We spread the 51 miles or so to Kennedy Meadows out over 4 days, which isn't a bad way to break into the trail if (like Carly) you're new to this sort of thing.  As a result, we finished each day at an excellent water source: Joshua Tree Spring (mile 664), the stream just before Canebrake Rd. (681), and the stream at 694 (scout downstream, left, from the trail).  I'm not sure whether iPint was referring to Joshua Tree Spring as tainted, but we filtered/treated/or uved it and it was good and plentiful.

Obviously iPint is right that the peak traffic will have passed, but I've run into a number of thru hikers near Tahoe in late July.  So I say go for it.

Bilbo (aka Bob)