[pct-l] solo hiker starting at Walker Pass

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 18:43:35 CST 2014

I hiked Walker Pass to Canebrake Rd. in October of 2008 and camped at Joshua Tree Spring. It was actually quite nice then, a little cold and windy but sheltered down at the spring and probably an ideal time to go actually as the desert meadows around Canebrake Road were quite lovely in fall. We weren’t bothered by bears and had plenty of water. It wasn’t a drought year, however. I hiked the same area in June of the same year, it was hot and miserable through there, but fortunately you get out quickly. I hiked it again in June of 2009 and it was cold and raining. I camped at one of the Spanish Needle Creeks. Still no bear was seen. You never know what you are going to get, but July is going to be pretty hot. Weird that I’ve hiked that section 3 times now. I’d do it again, too. I think it’s pretty there. I look online at land for sale around there every now and then. Not everybody hates the desert I guess.